I had the opportunity to observe a teaching demonstration conducted by Nethini Hettiarrachchi during my peer observation session. The demonstration specifically aimed at teaching body parts to grade 4 learners. Within this teaching demonstration, two primary classroom management strategies were clearly and effectively utilized, namely active learning and peer collaboration. At the outset of the lesson, Nethini adopted a multi-sensory approach, integrating kinesthetic and auditory elements by incorporating a song about body parts, and the use of teddy bears to illustrate and label different body parts. The teddy bear activity, was highly interactive and enjoyable for the students, reflecting a successful application of active learning. The learners enthusiastically participated, demonstrating a clear engagement with the activity. The group activity showcased effective peer collaboration, successfully fostering a sense of unity within the classroom.
Nethini's powerful tone of voice was impactful in capturing and maintaining the audience's attention. Furthermore, she ensured that instructions throughout the session were clear and comprehensible, enhancing overall understanding and participation. The language she used was well-graded catering to the age group, she utilized endearing terms like “little prince and princesses,” establishing a warm and engaging classroom atmosphere. The strategic use of code-switching emerged as an effective pedagogical strategy, aiding in learners’ comprehension and engagement.
While the demonstration exhibited several strengths, one area for improvement could be structuring activities to maintain a continuous focus on the target language throughout the lesson, avoiding abrupt transitions. Crafting activities to cyclically reinforce the target language might enhance the learning experience.
In summary, Nethini displayed strong teaching skills through her demonstration, presenting a well-balanced mix of engaging methodologies and proficient classroom management. Her ability to sustain active student engagement throughout the session underscored the effectiveness of her teaching approach, ultimately creating an enriching learning experience for the students.
OBSERVATION
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
GET TO KNOW ME
Hello! I'm Prathibha I am Prathibha Aeshwarya Gunawardhane, currently in my final year at University of Kelaniya. I am wor...
-
Hello! I'm Prathibha I am Prathibha Aeshwarya Gunawardhane, currently in my final year at University of Kelaniya. I am wor...
-
Greetings and welcome to a pivotal chapter of my educational journey showcased in this e-portfolio. Here, I proudly present my initial foray...
-
Conducting a real-life classroom demonstration as a student teacher was an enriching and heartwarming experience, revealing to me the joy ...

No comments:
Post a Comment